TRANSISTOR MUSEUM

Historic Transistor Photo Gallery

 

 

 

Transistor Size (3/8 Diameter X 1/2 H)

Date Code 505 (1955 Week 5)

 

Packaging- None

 

 

 

RADIO RECEPTOR RR66

 

TYPE

Germanium PNP Alloy Junction

Photo Transistor

 

USAGE

Light Sensing and Switching

 

DATE INTRODUCED

1954

 

CASE STYLES

Silver Metal Base with Clear Glass Top

 

AVAILABILITY

Rare Limited Production

 

HISTORIC NOTES

The Radio Receptor Company, with factories in Brooklyn, NY, was one of a very few small electronics companies that moved quickly into the transistor business shortly after Western Electric began offering licenses to this new technology. In addition to a range of computer and hearing aid germanium alloy junction devices, Radio Receptor was the first to market a photo transistor, with the RR66 available in mid year 1954. The design was essentially a standard germanium alloy junction transistor, with a hermetically sealed glass top which allowed light to strike the transistor PN junctions. According to an August 1954 ad in the Proceedings of the IRE, the RR66 was suitable for such applications as industrial controls, punch cards and perforated tape readers, street light control, sound-on-film, burglar alarms, automatic door openers, and counters. Spectral response ranged from infrared though the complete tungsten lamp spectrum. A transistor very similar to the RR66 was introduced several years later by General Transistor Company as the GT66.

 

 

 

Copyright 2004 by Jack Ward

http://www.transistormuseum.com